The Norwich Historical Society is always looking for volunteers to serve on the board, committees, and volunteer at the Norwich Heritage & Regional Visitors’ Center.
Norwich Historical Society Current Volunteer Opportunities:
- Second Saturday Tour or Walktober Tour Walk Leader – NHS hosts a series of free guided walking tours on the Second Saturday of the month from April to August and during the Last Green Valley’s Walktober celebration from September – November. These walking tours encompass a wide variety of themes in Norwich’s history. These walks are given on a rotating basis by our knowledgeable board members and community volunteers. Those interested in becoming a Second Saturday Tour or Walktober Tour leader can either create a new tour, with the Norwich Historical Society’s authorization, or begin the succession process of ensuring that certain tours continue after Walk Leaders retire.
- Visitors’ Center Docent – The role of a Visitors’ Center Docent is to provide visitors with information about the city of Norwich and foster a warm and positive environment in the Norwich Heritage & Regional Visitors’ Center. Volunteers will commit to at least one three-hour shift per week when the Visitors’ Center is open May – October, Thursday – Sunday.
- Event Volunteer – The volunteer will be responsible for attending NHS programs such as our Annual Meeting, Lecture Series, Annual Ghost Tour, and Historical Reenactments on the Green to assist with set up and take down of the event. The volunteer(s) may also be asked at times to represent NHS at community events by staffing a table and distributing brochures.
- Facility Volunteer – Clean the Visitors’ Center’s interior and exterior. Decorate the space with seasonal decorations. Monitor the status of the brochures at the outside information box and add brochures as needed. Assists with exterior work such as cleaning the gutters, planting flowers, etc.
- Join a Committee – We’re always looking for members of the community to join a committee. The committees we have available are: Marketing/Newsletter, Membership, Finance/Development, Governance/Nominating, Program, Ghost Tour, William B. Stanley Lecture Series, and Visitors’ Center. These committees tend to meet either once a month or on an adhoc basis.
- Contribute content to the Norwich Historical Society’s newsletter – Provide articles no longer than 500 words on a topic related to Norwich’s history and specific to the newsletter theme.
For more information about these opportunities, please contact:
Regan Miner | Executive Director
69 East Town St ∙ Norwich, CT 06360 Office – 860.886.1776